Kopparberg Premium Cider is a refreshing alcoholic drink (4.5% ABV) traditionally made from the fermentation of apples or pears. The key ingredient to all Kopparberg ciders is the unique soft water sources found only in the town of Kopparberg, Sweden. Soft water is used because it has a low mineral content allowing the natural pure taste of the fruit to come through unaltered. The Cider is best enjoyed over mountains of ice in a large glass with a wedge of lime. At present Kopparberg can be found in more than 30 countries and is the world’s best-selling pear cider. In South Africa Kopparberg can be purchased at all Makro stores and select Top stores nationwide. Come October it will be available in most Pick n Pay stores too.
In South Africa we have two Premium Kopparberg variants namely, Strawberry & Lime and the Original Pear Cider. Both flavours are incredible but my favourite has to be the Strawberry & Lime cider because not only can you drink it on its own but you can also consume it in a cocktail. Below is a delicious thirst quenching cocktail for you to try out.
Strawberry Kopparberg Mojito Recipe:
4 fresh strawberries, de-stemmed (hulled) and cut into small pieces
1 lime, cut into quarters
8 mint leaves
1 barspoon/tablespoon granulated sugar (or 25ml gomme)
50ml (2 tots) of Bacardi Superior Rum
50ml Kopparberg Strawberry & lime
1) Fill the cocktail shaker with the strawberries, lime, mint and sugar/gomme.
2) Use a muddler or blunt kitchen utensil to mash the ingredients together.
3) Fill the shaker with crushed ice, directly on top of mashed fruit and mint pieces.
4) Add the rum. You should see the liquid rise almost to the surface of the ice.
5) Cover the shaker and shake well.
6) Pour into a tall (500ml) glass.
7) Top off with Kopparberg Strawberry & lime and more crushed ice so that the glass if full to the brim.
8) Garnish with a fresh strawberry (stem still intact) on the rim of the glass.